Sweet and sour pork kebabs
- 1 tbs salt-reduced tomato sauce
- 1/2 tsp reduced-salt soy sauce
- 1 1/2 tsp white vinegar
- 400 g pork fillet, trimmed of fat, cut into 2cm cubes
- 1/4 pineapple, peeled, cut into 2-3cm pieces
- 1 red capsicum, seeded and cut into 2-3cm pieces
- 1 yellow capsicum, seeded and cut into 2-3cm pieces
- 1 zucchini, cut into 2-3cm pieces
- 1 red onion, peeled, cut into 2-3cm pieces
- 8 small button mushrooms
- 8 thick bamboo sticks
- olive or canola oil spray
- 4 cups steamed rice (from 2 cups uncooked rice), to serve
- Mix sauces and vinegar in a small bowl. Add pork, stir to coat and set aside to marinate.
- To prevent burning, cover skewers in a shallow bowl with water.
- Preheat barbecue grill on high heat.
- Thread pork and vegetables alternately onto skewers, ending with mushrooms.
- Spray skewers with oil and barbecue each side for 2 minutes until pork is cooked through, basting kebabs with remaining marinade occasionally.
- Transfer to plates and serve with rice.
Cover and refrigerate marinated pork for as long as time permits, from 30 minutes to overnight. Skewered kebabs can be prepared in advance and refrigerated until ready to barbeque.
Variation: Replace fresh pineapple with pineapple chunks canned in natural juice.
|per serve||per 100g|
|Energy||1654 kJ||395 kJ|
|Protein||28.5 g||6.8 g|
|Fat, total||3.8 g||0.9 g|
|— saturated||1 g||0.2 g|
|Carbohydrate||58.4 g||14 g|
|— sugars||8.6 g||2.1 g|
|Sodium||133.4 mg||31.9 mg|
|Fibre||4.2 g||1 g|