Thai beef larb
- olive or canola oil spray
- 500 g lean beef mince
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 long red chilli, seeded and thinly sliced (optional)
- 150 g green beans, trimmed, sliced into 1cm pieces
- 2 cups cabbage or wombok, finely shredded
- finely grated rind of 1 lime and 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 3 tbs sweet chilli sauce
- 2 tsp fish sauce
- 4 spring onions (including green tops), ends trimmed, thinly sliced diagonally
- 1/2 cup fresh coriander, chopped
- 1/2 cup mint leaves, roughly torn
- 1 whole iceberg lettuce, separated into leaves
- 250 g rice noodles, cooked, to serve
- lime cheeks, optional
- Spray a large non-stick wok or frypan with oil and place on medium to high heat.
- Add mince and brown for 5 minutes, stirring to break up lumps.
- Add garlic, chilli and beans; stir-fry for 3 minutes.
- Add cabbage, lime rind and juice, and sauces; mix through and cook for 2 minutes until cabbage softens.
- Remove wok from heat, add spring onions, coriander and mint and toss to combine.
- To serve, place lettuce leaves, mince mixture, cooked noodles and lime cheeks onto separate serving plates. Pile cooked mince and noodles into a lettuce leaf and coat with a squeeze of lime juice. Roll up into a parcel to eat.
- Substitute cabbage for bean shoots.
- Replace beef with lean chicken, turkey or pork mince.
- Use larb mixture (without noodles and lettuce) as a filling for rice paper rolls and serve with sweet chilli sauce.
|per serve||per 100g|
|Energy||1452 kJ||323 kJ|
|Protein||26 g||6 g|
|Fat, total||10 g||2 g|
|— saturated||4 g||1 g|
|Carbohydrate||34 g||8 g|
|— sugars||9 g||2 g|
|Sodium||474 mg||105 mg|
|Fibre||6 g||1 g|