Healthy Party Ideas
We all want children’s birthday parties to be fun and memorable. Here's some tips on how to include some nourishing foods and active party games that'll be fun for the whole family!
- Choosing a theme can give inspiration for food, decorations and activities
- Get the kids involved in the party planning and preparations
- Cut food into fun shapes with cookie cutters
- Find loads of healthy recipes here
- Make some healthy dips with the kids the night before
- Small pikelets can be made in advance and frozen
- Remind families to bring hats and sunscreen or rain jackets as required
Loot bag ideas
- Dried fruit and nuts
- Homemade biscuits and popcorn
- Party poppers and balloons
- Seed sticks or seedlings
- Chalk, stickers, stamps or other stationery items
- Hair clips, bouncy balls or other small toys
Active party games
- Bobbing for apples
- Musical chairs
- Duck duck goose
- Balloon/sack races
Plan your party outdoors
At the park or playground, use the equipment, or encourage guests to bring their scooters or bikes. Play a game like cricket or grip ball. Plan a beach or pool party. Get the kids (or their friends) together and decorate the backyard
If your party is outside, remember to be sun smart! Remind people to bring a broad brimmed or bucket hat on the invitation, look for a shady spot and provide sunscreen.
Tap water is best and cheapest! Mix it up and add some fun with the following ideas:
- Little people need little cups
- Add some frozen berries or sliced fruit into water to add colour to tap or sparkling water
- Freeze water with fruit or mint leaves in ice cubes trays for colourful and pretty ice cubes
Provide straws with fun shapes or colours.
- If you’re going to provide juice, choose 100% fruit juice and water it down with tap water or sparkling water for a special ‘Jungle Juice’.
Money saving tips
- Choose fruit that's in season - that's when it's best and cheapest!
- Buy foods like raisin bread/ pikelets when they are on special and freeze until needed
- Borrow cookie cutters from friends, family or community groups
- Buy cheaper popcorn kernels for the stove instead of microwave popcorn packets
Party themes ideas
Wild Wild West
- “Sheriff badges” star shaped sandwiches
- Vegetable teepees – create teepee with celery or carrot sticks, join with dip.
- Loot bags with toy water pistol, Western colouring-in, skipping rope (lasso)
- Bobbing for apples party game
- Vegie gardens - vegie sticks and hummus in paper cups
- Loot bags with animal stickers
- Sack race
- Tutty fruity mango raspberry popsicles
- Loot bags with sea shells, leis, and bubble mixture
- Limbo party game