A swimmingly way to live lighter
by Guest Author,
- February 15, 2020
- Leave a comment
Splish, Splash. Taking the time to go for a swim in the pool, at the beach or at a water park can provide you with numerous health benefits and a great way to relax and feel good, especially now summer is here.
Swimming has fantastic benefits for your health and at any intensity – recreational or for fitness (but the harder you puff, the better!)
Swimming is a good all-round activity:
- It helps maintain a healthy weight, healthy heart and lungs
- It improves the strength of nearly all of your muscles, while at the same time, reduces any impact and stress on your body
Swimming has many other benefits including:
- Alleviates stress and blood pressure – perfect as a before work, or after work activity
- Great at improving flexibility, coordination, balance and posture – for all those office workers that sit all day.
- Providing a pleasant way to cool down on a hot day
- A great way to spend time with the family away from the TV / computer screen and outdoors
Did you know?
Water jogging burns the same, if not more, calories (kilojoules / energy) than running on land.
Swimming is convenient, and often free, but whether swimming in swimming pools, beaches, lakes, dams and rivers, make sure the environment you choose to swim in is safe. And don't forget to be sun smart!
When it comes to getting into the water, it's not all laps and freestyle for fitness. It can be fun too! Everyone loves a good game of Marco Polo or pool volleyball, so take the opportunity to move more when it comes to being poolside.