Love your leftovers
by Jenny Atkins, LiveLighter nutritionist and busy mum
- December 9, 2020
- Leave a comment
Christmas Day is all about family, sharing and relaxing. Get togethers often centre around mouth-watering feasts and treats.
It's almost inevitable that you will end up with a fridge full of leftovers: cold meat cuts, half-eaten salads, unserved fruits. The big question is... what to do with them?
Here are our easy tips on converting leftovers into yummy new dishes.
Leftover cooked meats
- Cut cooked meat into slices or cubes and add a bag of salad leaves, tomato, cucumber and carrot for something light and fresh.
- Go Mexican! Cook vegies in Mexican spices and add shredded meat. Add to pita chips with a sprinkle of cheese for an easy meal.
- Sang Choy Bau – cooked meat & vegies served in a fresh lettuce or cabbage leaf. Quick and fun!
- A brekkie omelette is an easy way to get a few serves of vegies into your day.
- Fried rice is a quick and healthy way to use up leftover meats and vegetables.
- Mix together leftover roasted vegies to make a hearty salad: pumpkin, potatoes and beans (or whatever you have in the fridge). Add cheese, rice or quinoa to bulk it up and use fresh herbs for added flavour.
- A sneaky parent trick: slice up leftover vegies, pop them onto a pizza and watch the kids gobble them up! Use a flatbread base or make our 2 ingredient pizza base.
- Make an easy sorbet using chopped fruit. Freeze and blend with a little juice or water. Another option is to blend the fruit, pour into icy pole moulds and freeze for healthy homemade summer treats.
- Add cut fruit to your savoury salads to add freshness and sweetness.
Make a mix of chopped fresh and dried fruit with leftover nuts to sprinkle over your breakfast cereal or yoghurt. Yum!
We hope this has given you a little ‘food for thought’ and perhaps inspired you to look forward to using those leftovers this festive season.