Healthy Fruity Muffins Recipe
- olive or canola oil spray
- 1 1/2 cups self-raising flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp Baking soda (bicarbonate)
- 1 tbs caster sugar
- 1/2 cup bran sticks (e.g. AllbranTM)
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup sultanas
- 1 apple, core removed and diced, skin left on
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 2 ripe bananas, mashed
- Preheat oven to 200ºC (180ºC fan forced).
- Lightly spray muffin tins with oil or line with paper cases.
- Sift flour, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda into a large bowl, returning the husk remaining in the sieve to the bowl.
- Add sugar, bran, oats, sultanas and apple and mix until well combined.
- Place buttermilk, egg and mashed bananas in a bowl and mix with a fork.
- Pour banana mixture into dry ingredients and gently fold together until just combined.
- Spoon into prepared muffin pan.
- Bake for 15 minutes for mini-muffins or 20 minutes for larger muffins until firm and a knife inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Allow to cool in tin for 5 minutes then turn onto a wire rack.
Muffins freeze well in snap-lock bags, but are best eaten on the day they are made.
- Use currants, dried cranberries or chopped dried apricots instead of sultanas.
- Replace apple with pear to vary the flavour.
- Substitute for buttermilk - add 1 tsp white vinegar to 3/4 cup low-fat milk.
Having a party? Serve vegie sticks and water crackers with salsa rather than high-fat chips and dips.
Start to LiveLighter today
Become a member for free and receive your personalised meal plan.
|per serving||per 100g|
|Energy||659 kJ||614 kJ|
|Protein||4.7 g||4.3 g|
|Fat, total||1.7 g||1.6 g|
|— saturated||0.5 g||0.5 g|
|Carbohydrate||29.4 g||27.3 g|
|— sugars||12.7 g||11.8 g|
|Sodium||294 mg||273.8 mg|
|Fibre||3.4 g||3.2 g|
You might also like
Honey Roasted Chickpeas
Sweet and spicy, these baked chickpeas are a deliciously quick and healthy snack.