Healthy Lamb Shank & Vegetable Soup Recipe
- 4 lamb shanks
- 6 cups water
- 1 cup barley or soup mix
- 4 medium potatoes , diced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 small turnip, peeled and diced
- 2 sticks celery, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and finely chopped
- Place lamb shanks in the pot with water and simmer for 2 hours.
- Remove shanks and strain excess stock and refrigerate until set, about 4 hours or overnight. Remove the fat off the top of the stock. Dispose of fat.
- Shred the meat from the lamb shanks and dice. Place in a bowl to add later.
- In a large saucepan bring stock water, 6 cups of water, 1 cup of barley or soup mix to the boil. Cover and set aside without cooking for 1 hour.
- Remove any scum (fat) that has risen to the top.
- Cook for ½ hour and then add chopped up potatoes, onion, turnip, celery and carrot. Cook for another ½ hour or until vegies are soft.
- Add pepper and cooked diced meat.
- Serve with bread or bread rolls
Recipe from Deadly Tucker cookbook (Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander-FOODcents manual, 2006), North Metropolitan Health Service, Department of Health WA. Reproduced with permission.
To eat less saturated fat, choose leaner cuts of meat and and trim the fat off meat before cooking.
|per serving||per 100g|
|Energy||1598 kJ||263 kJ|
|Protein||29.8 g||4.9 g|
|Fat, total||12.9 g||2.1 g|
|— saturated||4.7 g||0.8 g|
|Carbohydrate||32.9 g||5.4 g|
|— sugars||3.2 g||0.5 g|
|Sodium||87 mg||14 mg|
|Fibre||6.3 g||1 g|
You might also like
Seared Steak Corn & Couscous Salad 3-2-1
The smoky sweetness of the corn is the real hero of this fabulous summery dish
Balsamic Pork on Garlicky White Bean Mash 3-2-1
Fancy up your cooking with this protein-packed alternative to traditional potato mash.