Healthy Sweet & Sour Chicken Recipe
- 600 g skinless chicken thigh fillets
- 2 tbs oil or margarine
- 1 1/2 onions
- 1 1/2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 3/4 capsicum
- 1 1/2 zucchinis (or cabbage or beans or peas)
- 3/4 large can canned pineapple slice in natural juice, undrained
- 3 tbs vinegar
- 2 tbs reduced-salt soy sauce
- 1 tbs brown sugar
- 1 1/2 packets chicken noodle soup (salt reduced)
- Chop chicken into bite sized pieces.
- Peel, slice and chop vegetables on another chopping board.
- Heat oil or margarine in a frypan or saucepan, brown onion and chicken.
- Add pineapple pieces, vinegar, soy sauce, sugar, vegetables and soup mix.
- Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for nearly an hour or until chicken and vegetables are cooked.
Recipe from Deadly Tucker cookbook (Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander-FOODcents manual, 2006), North Metropolitan Health Service, Department of Health WA, reproduced with permission.
Serving Suggestion: Serve with rice.
|per serving||per 100g|
|Energy||2328 kJ||606 kJ|
|Protein||27.3 g||7.1 g|
|Fat, total||14 g||3.7 g|
|— saturated||2.9 g||0.8 g|
|Carbohydrate||76.5 g||20 g|
|— sugars||9.9 g||2.4 g|
|Sodium||444.9 mg||117.6 mg|
|Fibre||5.4 g||1.2 g|