Healthy Chargrilled Chicken & Vegie Stack With Salsa Verde Recipe
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1/2 cup parsley
- 1/2 cup basil leaves
- 1 tbs capers, drained
- 2 tbs lemon juice
- 1 tbs water
- 2 small skinless chicken breasts
- olive or canola oil spray
- 450 g Japanese, Kent or butternut pumpkin, peeled and cut into 3mm slices
- 1 eggplant, cut into 12x 3mm thick slices
- 2 red capsicum, seeded and quartered
- 1 zucchini, cut into 16x 5mm thick slices
- 32 basil leaves, extra
- To make salsa verde, place garlic, parsley, basil, capers, lemon juice and water into the bowl of a food processor. Process until smooth and set aside.
- Spray a barbecue, char-grill or griddle with oil and heat to high. Halve each chicken breast lengthways to form 4 thin breast steaks. Using a rolling pin, pound steaks between 2 sheets of plastic wrap to 5mm thickness. Cut each in half again to form 8 smaller steaks.
- Place chicken in a small dish with half the salsa verde; stir to coat and set aside to marinate.
- Place vegetables on heated grill and cook in batches for 2-3 minutes each side until lightly charred and just tender. Transfer to a large plate and cover loosely with foil to keep warm; repeat with remaining vegetables.
- Respray grill and cook chicken for 2-3 minutes each side until cooked through.
- To assemble each stack on a serving plate, layer a slice of eggplant, 4 basil leaves, 2 zucchini slices, 2 pumpkin slices, 1 piece capsicum and top with chicken.
- Repeat layers again. Finish with an extra eggplant slice and top with a tablespoon of reserved salsa verde.
- Serve immediately.
Cover dish, refrigerate and marinate chicken for as long as time permits, from 30 minutes to overnight.
This salsa verde can add zing to a multitude of other dishes, from a simple salad to a roast dinner.
Try mustard instead of mayonnaise to add extra flavour to your salads and sandwiches.
|per serving||per 100g|
|Energy||948 kJ||222 kJ|
|Protein||24.1 g||5.6 g|
|Fat, total||4.9 g||1.2 g|
|— saturated||1.1 g||0.2 g|
|Carbohydrate||15.9 g||3.7 g|
|— sugars||14.6 g||3.4 g|
|Sodium||73.2 mg||17.1 mg|
|Fibre||11.3 g||2.6 g|