- 500 g lamb offcuts (on the bone)
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, including the leaves, chopped
- 1 potato, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tsp dried Italian herbs
- 1/2 cup barley or soup mix
- 1 tsp reduced-salt vegetable stock powder
- pepper, to taste
- Cut any visible pieces of fat off the meat and discard.
- Place all ingredients in a medium saucepan.
- Add 1.5 litres of water to completely cover the ingredients. Add more if needed.
- With a lid on, place the pan on a high heat until boiling.
- Reduce the heat to low and cook for 1 hour or until the meat is easily pulled from the bone.
- Take off the heat and allow pot to cool for 20 minutes.
- Place the covered pot in the fridge to cool overnight. Remove the visible fat from the top with a spoon and discard.
- Remove the meat from the bones and discard the bones.
- To serve, warm the soup over medium heat for 10-15 minutes until heated through.
Comment: Use any cheap cut of meat with the bone in (chicken wings, chicken drumsticks, lamb neck, lamb shank, soup bones).
Still hungry? Try a side of salad or vegies before going for seconds.
|per serving||per 100g|
|Energy||957 kJ||508 kJ|
|Protein||19 g||10.1 g|
|Fat, total||9.5 g||5 g|
|— saturated||2.8 g||1.5 g|
|Carbohydrate||14.6 g||7.8 g|
|— sugars||2.6 g||1.4 g|
|Sodium||58.1 mg||30.8 mg|
|Fibre||3.5 g||1.9 g|
You might also like
The simple lime and chilli dressing brings out the flavours of this bright and fresh salad.