- 4 small skinless chicken breasts
- 2 cups salt-reduced chicken stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 700 g mixed vegetables of choice (carrots, cauliflower, leeks, cabbage, asparagus, babycorn, peas)
- 2 tsp cornflour
- 2 tbs reduced-fat milk
- 2 tbs mixed herbs (parsley, thyme, oregano, marjoram) or 1 tsp dried mixed herbs
- pepper, to taste
- 6 sheets filo pastry
- olive or canola oil spray
- Preheat oven to 200 °C.
- In a large covered pan, slowly poach chicken breasts in chicken stock and bay leaf for 15–20 minutes depending on size.
- Cut vegetables into bite-sized pieces and add to the pan. Cover and continue to cook for 5 minutes.
- Remove the bay leaf and place chicken and vegetables into a deep pie dish, leaving behind the juices.
- Mix cornflour with milk and add to juices, bringing to the boil to thicken. Add herbs and season with pepper.
- Pour sauce over chicken and vegetables.
- Prepare pastry crust by spraying every second sheet of filo with a little oil and layering sheets on top of each other. Place over top of dish, scrunching up slightly. Spray with a little oil and bake until crisp and brown.
- Serve immediately.
Recipe from Healthy Food Fast © State of Western Australia, 2012. Reproduced with permission.
- To reduce the fat content, filo may be brushed with beaten egg white instead of oil.
- This dish may be served as a casserole without the filo pastry.
We are family! Enjoy some quality time together at the dinner table and switch off all other distractions.
|per serving||per 100g|
|Energy||2138 kJ||373 kJ|
|Protein||78 g||13.6 g|
|Fat, total||7.1 g||1.2 g|
|— saturated||2 g||0.3 g|
|Carbohydrate||26.3 g||4.6 g|
|— sugars||8 g||1.4 g|
|Sodium||802.7 mg||140 mg|
|Fibre||8.4 g||1.5 g|
You might also like
Asian Chicken Salad
Showcasing the four key tastes of Thai cooking: salty, sweet and slightly sour with a hint of spice.
Teriyaki Chicken Drumsticks with Brown Rice Salad
Big on flavour, these drumsticks are perfect for a picnic or midweek dinner