Healthy Spice Crusted Chicken & Salad Recipe
- 1 tsp cumin seed
- 2 tbs panko bread crumbs
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 2 tsp sesame seeds
- 3 potatoes, chopped
- 1 tsp olive oil
- to taste pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat plain yoghurt
- 200 g skinless chicken breast
- 2 tbs wholemeal plain flour
- 1/4 cup mint leaves
- 2 tbs lemon juice
- 1/4 lettuce, torn
- 1/4 red onion
- 1/2 cup frozen peas, defrosted
- 1/2 apple, thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to 200° C and line a baking tray with baking paper.
- In a food processor, mortar and pestle or with a knife, roughly chop cumin seeds. Add panko breadcrumbs, ground coriander and sesame seeds and mix.
- In a microwave-safe container with a lid (or a bowl with cling wrap) microwave the potatoes for 4 minutes on HIGH, stirring after 2 minutes. Toss with olive oil and pepper and scatter on an oven tray. Place in the oven while you prepare the chicken.
- Divide the yoghurt evenly into one big bowl and one small bowl. Set the small bowl aside to make the dressing.
- Slice the chicken breast in half so you get two, thinner pieces. Sprinkle the pieces with flour, and shake off the excess.
- Dip the floured chicken in the yoghurt, shaking off excess and place on baking tray. Discard yoghurt that has touched the raw chicken. Press half the spicy crumb mixture onto the top of each chicken piece.
- Put the chicken on the oven tray next to the potatoes. Bake for 20 minutes, until the chicken is golden and crunchy and the potatoes are soft.
- Meanwhile, make the dressing by finely chopping half the mint and mixing with the reserved yoghurt and the lemon juice. Season with pepper.
- Assemble the salad by arranging the vegetables, apple and mint on a plate and topping with the chicken. Pour the dressing over just before serving.
Serving Suggestion: Make a bigger batch of the spice crust, mix with some crushed nuts and voila! Homemade dukkah to dip bread in or sprinkle on salads and sandwiches for flavour and crunch.
Comment: Panko breadcrumbs are bigger and crunchier than the ordinary fine breadcrumbs from a packet. To make your own, blitz or grate stale bread, then dry on a flat tray in a 140 C oven for about 5 minutes. Shake the crumbs around every few minutes, you want to dry them out, not brown.
Chilli, lemon and herbs add flavour - great alternatives to butter and salt!
|per serving||per 100g|
|Energy||2006 kJ||424 kJ|
|Protein||41 g||9 g|
|Fat, total||12 g||2 g|
|— saturated||4 g||1 g|
|Carbohydrate||45 g||10 g|
|— sugars||13 g||3 g|
|Sodium||198 mg||42 mg|
|Fibre||10 g||2 g|
You might also like
Lemon & Herb Roast Chicken with Vegies
A traditional roast with fresh flavours that is sure to be a hit!