Healthy Seared Steak Corn & Couscous Salad Recipe
- spray olive or canola oil spray
- 3 corn cobs, husk and silk removed
- 1 cup wholemeal couscous
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 4 tsp ground cumin
- 1 cup boiling water
- 500 g lean beef, trimmed of fat
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper, optional
- 250 g cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1 capsicum, diced
- 2 spring onions (including green tops), thinly sliced
- 1 red chilli, deseeded, finely diced (optional)
- 2 limes, zest and juice
- 1/4 cup mint leaves, chopped
- to taste pepper
- 1/3 cup reduced-fat feta cheese, crumbled
- Preheat a griddle pan or barbeque grill on medium-high heat. Lightly spray corn with oil and cook on grill, turning, for about 10 minutes until there is a light char all over. Once cool enough to handle, slice off kernels.
- Meanwhile, place couscous, garlic and half the cumin in a large heatproof bowl. Pour over boiling water. Cover and set aside for 3 minutes.
- Reheat grill or pan to medium-high temperature. Lightly spray steak with oil and sprinkle each side with remaining cumin and the cayenne if using. Grill for 3-4 minutes each side or until cooked to your liking. Remove from heat, cover and set aside to rest for 5 minutes.
- Fluff couscous with a fork to separate grains and stir through corn kernels, tomatoes, capsicum, spring onions, chilli, lime juice and zest and mint. Add pepper and sprinkle feta over the top.
- To serve, divide couscous salad between plates and top with thinly sliced steak.
- Replace couscous with 2 cups cooked quinoa, barley or brown rice.
- Swap the beef for 2 cans of no-added-salt beans eg. black beans, chickpeas or cannellini beans.
- Add a diced mango or avocado just before serving.
- Serve with grilled zucchini strips or on a bed of baby spinach or rocket.
- Microwave the corn or use tinned or frozen corn (2 – 3 cups) for a speedier version of this dish.
Swap a large portion of meat for a smaller portion with extra vegetables.
|per serving||per 100g|
|Energy||2123 kJ||470 kJ|
|Protein||39.6 g||8.8 g|
|Fat, total||14.3 g||3.2 g|
|— saturated||3.9 g||0.9 g|
|Carbohydrate||48.5 g||10.7 g|
|— sugars||10.8 g||2.4 g|
|Sodium||206 mg||46 mg|
|Fibre||11.9 g||2.6 g|
You might also like
Beef & Bean Burrito
A vegie-packed beef con carne burrito - a fun, family dinner that the kids will love!
Lamb Tagine with Couscous 3-2-1
Tender lamb and sweet apricots are a perfect match in this hearty stew.