Healthy Mac & Cheese Bake Recipe
- 250 g high-fibre or wholegrain pasta
- 1/2 head cauliflower, cut into small florets
- 1 zucchini, chopped
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 tbs plain flour
- 1 1/2 cups reduced-fat milk
- to taste pepper
- 1 cup reduced-fat cheese, grated
- 1/3 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- Cook pasta in a large pot according to packet instruction. In the last 5-6 minutes of cooking, add the cauliflower florets and zucchini to the pot of boiling pasta. Drain and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan and cook onions for 4-5 minutes until soft.
- Add the flour to the pan and cook for 2 minutes, stirring. Gradually start adding the milk while stirring. (Hint: warm the milk in the microwave first to get a smoother sauce, quicker). Bring the sauce to the boil, then remove from the heat. Season with pepper and stir in grated cheese.
- Combine the pasta, vegies and sauce.
- Mix the breadcrumbs, parmesan and pepper in a separate bowl.
- Put pasta, vegies and sauce in an oven proof dish, sprinkle with breadcrumb mixture and place under the grill for 5-10 minutes until golden and crunchy.
- Blitz some of the cooked cauliflower and zucchini into a puree and fold into the cheese sauce if you want to hide some of the vegetables. Peeling the zucchini also makes it less visible.
- Use peas, pumpkin, carrots, broccoli or whatever vegetable needs using up in this dish.
On a budget? If fresh produce is not available or is too expensive, try canned or frozen fruit and veg!
|per serving||per 100g|
|Energy||2403 kJ||543 kJ|
|Protein||27.8 g||6.3 g|
|Fat, total||25.3 g||5.7 g|
|— saturated||9.4 g||2.1 g|
|Carbohydrate||54.3 g||12.3 g|
|— sugars||11 g||2.5 g|
|Sodium||529 mg||119 mg|
|Fibre||8.1 g||1.8 g|