Healthy Sweetpea Recipe
- 2 small banana, frozen
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat milk, frozen into cubes
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat milk
- 1/2 cup no-added-salt chickpeas, drained
- 1 tbs peanut butter (no added sugar or salt)
- 1 date, pitted
- 1/2 cup water, cold
- 2 tsp cocoa powder
- Add all ingredients to a blender or jug that can be used with a stick blender.
- Blitz until desired texture is reached. Note: if your mixer is not very powerful, blitz everything together without any frozen ingredients, then add the frozen things a little at a time, blitzing as you go.
- To make layered milkshakes, follow the recipe but leave out the cocoa. Divide the mixture into two, add half the cocoa to one portion and blitz. Divide the chocolatey mixture between two glasses, and then gently pour the pale mixture down the side of the glasses. Alternatively, tilt the glass and pour gently down the side of the glass.
- You can substitute cow’s milk with a plant-based milk alternative like soy (choose one that is fortified with calcium).
Serving Suggestion: Freeze any leftovers in an ice cube tray. Enjoy frozen, defrosted, or blitzed into a quick drink.
Comment: To make milk ice cubes, pour milk into an ice cube tray and freeze until hard (at least 2 hours). To freeze bananas, peel and chop and place in a ziplock bag. 1 cm slices will freeze in about 2 hours.
Having a party? Serve vegie sticks and water crackers with salsa rather than high-fat chips and dips.
|per serving||per 100g|
|Energy||1126 kJ||347 kJ|
|Protein||11.8 g||3.6 g|
|Fat, total||9.7 g||3 g|
|— saturated||2.5 g||0.8 g|
|Carbohydrate||29.9 g||9.2 g|
|— sugars||18.6 g||5.7 g|
|Sodium||159 mg||49 mg|
|Fibre||5.7 g||1.7 g|