Healthy Thai Fish Cakes With Crunchy Salad Recipe
- 400 g firm white boneless fish fillet, roughly chopped
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and quartered
- 4 stems fresh coriander, roots discarded
- 1 tbs red curry paste
- 1 tbs lemon or lime juice
- 1 egg
- 150 g green beans, trimmed, cut into 1cm rounds
- 1/2 small red capsicum, seeded and diced
- olive or canola oil spray, to serve
- lemon or lime wedges
- 1/2 small red capsicum, seeded and sliced into strips
- 1 continental or 2 large Lebanese cucumber, halved lengthways
- 2 cups bean sprouts
- 1 cup coriander stalks and leaves, chopped, extra
- 1/2 cup mint leaves, torn
- 1 red chilli, seeded and thinly sliced (optional)
- 1 tbs lemon or lime juice, extra
- 1 1/2 tbs sweet chilli sauce
- 1 tsp fish sauce
- Place fish, garlic, coriander, curry paste, juice and egg into a blender or food processor. Process until the mixture is well combined and is a smooth paste consistency.
- Transfer to a large bowl with diced red capsicum and the green beans. Mix until well combined.
- With damp hands, using 2 tablespoons of mixture at a time, shape mixture into 12 balls. Flatten into 1cm thick patties.
- Spray a large non-stick frypan with oil and place over medium heat. Place 6 fish cakes evenly around the pan. Cook for 3-4 minutes then flip and brown on reverse side for a further 2-3 minutes until cooked through. Transfer to a plate and repeat with remaining mixture.
- Begin to prepare salad by adding remaining ½ red capsicum, thinly sliced, to a large bowl. Using a teaspoon, discard seeds from cucumber. Slice thinly on the diagonal and add to capsicum along with bean sprouts, extra coriander, mint and chilli.
- To make the dressing, combine extra juice, sweet chilli and fish sauce in a cup and pour over salad just before serving.
- Divide fish cakes and salad among serving plates.
- Serve with lemon or lime wedges, if desired.
Fish cakes can be steamed in the microwave rather than browned in a pan. Place fish cakes around the outer edge of a large microwave-safe plate lined with non-stick baking paper. Cook, uncovered, on MEDIUM (50%) for 12-15 minutes or until firm and cooked through.
- Reduce red curry paste to ½ tablespoon for a less spicy, child-friendly version.
- Include other salad ingredients such as sliced red or spring onion, snow pea sprouts, halved cherry tomatoes, baby spinach leaves or mixed salad greens.
Start to LiveLighter today
Become a member for free and receive your personalised meal plan.
|per serving||per 100g|
|Energy||942 kJ||312 kJ|
|Protein||29 g||10 g|
|Fat, total||8 g||3 g|
|— saturated||2 g||0.6 g|
|Carbohydrate||7 g||2 g|
|— sugars||5 g||2 g|
|Sodium||442 mg||146 mg|
|Fibre||5 g||2 g|
You might also like
Grilled Salmon with Brown Rice Salad 3-2-1
The salmon is great but the real hero is the brown rice salad. Perfect.