Healthy Seafood Chowder Recipe
- spray olive or canola oil spray
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 1 potato, diced
- 1 cup cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1 x 400g can no-added-salt corn kernels
- 1 tsp reduced-salt vegetable stock
- 200 g marinara mix or seafood of your choice
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat milk
- pepper, to taste
- 4 slices wholemeal or multigrain bread
- Heat a large pot and spray with oil; add onion and celery.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes over medium-high heat, stirring often, until vegetables have softened.
- Stir in garlic and cook for 1 minute until fragrant. Add potato, cauliflower, corn including the water it is canned in, stock and 1/2 cup water per person. Add pepper to taste; stir until well combined.
- Bring to the boil and simmer on medium heat, partially covered, stirring occasionally for 10 - 15 minutes until vegetables are tender. Remove pot from heat.
- Ladle 1 cup of soup into a large heatproof jug and puree with a stick blender, potato masher or in a food processor. Return puree to soup pot with the milk and place on medium heat. Add extra water if you want a thinner soup.
- Stir in marinara mix and simmer, uncovered, until the seafood is just cooked through.
- Serve soup with black pepper and bread.
- *To make this in the slow cooker, add the seafood just before serving. It will only need a few minutes.
- *If making this to freeze for later, leave the seafood out, and add at the last minute during reheating.
Comment: *Choose gluten-free bread to make this recipe gluten free
Chilli, lemon and herbs add flavour - great alternatives to butter and salt!
Start to LiveLighter today
Become a member for free and receive your personalised meal plan.
|per serving||per 100g|
|Energy||2105 kJ||316 kJ|
|Protein||38 g||6 g|
|Fat, total||9 g||1 g|
|— saturated||2 g||0.2 g|
|Carbohydrate||60 g||9 g|
|— sugars||12 g||2 g|
|Sodium||911 mg||137 mg|
|Fibre||12 g||2 g|