Move your body and get active
- Get fitter
- Sleep better
- Manage your weight
- Improve your mood and energy levels
- Reduce your risk of heart disease, type 2 diabetes and some cancers
How much physical activity should I do?
Doing some is better than none, and more is better! If you currently do no physical activity, start by doing some, and gradually build up to the recommended amount.
National guidelines recommend that adults aim to:
- Move More: Be active on most, preferably all, days every week.
- Move Harder: Do at least 30 min of moderate (raises your heartrate but doesn’t make you breathless) or 15 min of vigorous (makes you gasp for breath) activity on most days; or an equivalent combination.
- Move Stronger: Do muscle strengthening activities on at least 2 days each week.
- Move Often: Minimise your time spent sitting and break up long periods of sitting as often as possible.
Creative ways to get moving
Get into nature for a walk.
Make it social by joining a sports team.
Bounce on the trampoline with your kids.
Walk, ride or take public transport to work or school.
Always take the stairs instead of the lift or escalators.
Do light stretches or yoga when watching TV.
Get your house in order with active housework like gardening or mopping.
Catch up with friends for a dance class or walk instead of a coffee.
Download our FREE exercise guides and workouts.