Healthy Lamb Shank Casserole Recipe
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 4 lamb shanks, tipped
- pepper, to taste
- 2 tbs plain flour
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 turnips, peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 parsnips, peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 sticks celery, sliced
- 150 g mushroom, sliced
- 400 g can no-added-salt diced tomatoes
- 1 2/3 cups water
- a few fresh herbs (parsley, thyme, marjoram, oregano) or 1/2 tsp dried Italian herbs
- Preheat oven to 160°C.
- Heat oil in a frypan. Toss lamb with flour and pepper in a plastic bag. Remove lamb, pan-fry until brown on all sides and place in a large casserole dish.
- Add all vegetables except tomatoes to the pan and cook for 5 minutes, turning constantly until they begin to colour slightly.
- Tip in remaining seasoned flour from the plastic bag. Add tomatoes and water and stir into vegetables. Add herbs. Bring to the boil and pour over lamb.
- Cover closely with a lid and bake in oven for 2–2 ½ hours until meat is falling off the bones.
Recipe from Healthy Food Fast © State of Western Australia, 2012. Reproduced with permission.
Start to LiveLighter today
Become a member for free and receive your personalised meal plan.
|per serving||per 100g|
|Energy||1038 kJ||228 kJ|
|Protein||23.1 g||5.1 g|
|Fat, total||7.9 g||1.7 g|
|— saturated||2.4 g||0.5 g|
|Carbohydrate||15.9 g||3.5 g|
|— sugars||9 g||2 g|
|Sodium||218.4 mg||48.2 mg|
|Fibre||6.1 g||1.3 g|
You might also like
Five-Spice Hoisin Pork with Cauliflower Mash
Asian-inspired tender baked pork served with mash and colourful vegetables.