Healthy Zucchini Polenta Slice Recipe
- olive or canola oil spray
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 zucchini
- 1 carrot
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1 tsp reduced-salt vegetable stock
- 95 g polenta
- 4 eggs
- pepper, to taste
- dried mixed herbs
- 3/4 cup frozen peas
- 1/2 cup low-fat cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 220° C (200° C fan forced).
- Spray an oven-proof pan* with oil and put over a medium high heat. Add onion and cook for 3-4 minutes, till softened.
- Grate the zucchini and carrot and squeeze as much moisture out as you can. Add this and the garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes, then add stock powder and water.
- Bring to a simmer, then whisking constantly, add the polenta in a slow, steady stream.
- Reduce heat to low and cook, stirring occasionally, for at least 10 mins until the polenta is thick and not too grainy. Turn off the heat.
- Mix the eggs, pepper, herbs, peas and cheese in a bowl. Pour into the pan and mix into the polenta.
- Put the pan into the oven for 20-25 minutes, or until it has risen a little and is golden. The slice will sink and firm up as it cools so don’t worry if it still looks a little wobbly in the middle.
Comment: If you don’t have an oven-proof fry pan, use an ordinary frying pan then transfer ingredients to a casserole dish or tray before putting in the oven.
Use the left-over water from cooking vegetables to make stock or soup. It's full of vitamins!
|per serving||per 100g|
|Energy||2138 kJ||300 kJ|
|Protein||31 g||4 g|
|Fat, total||20 g||3 g|
|— saturated||8 g||1 g|
|Carbohydrate||45 g||6 g|
|— sugars||10 g||1 g|
|Sodium||620 mg||87 mg|
|Fibre||11 g||2 g|