Currant carrot loaf
- olive or canola oil spray
- 1 cup self-raising flour
- 1 cup wholemeal self-raising flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup currants
- 3 medium carrots, grated
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- 1 egg
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 190ºC (170ºC fan forced).
- Lightly spray a 20cm loaf tin with oil.
- Sift flours into a medium sized bowl, returning the husk remaining in the sieve to the bowl. Add sugar, currants and carrot. Mix well to combine.
- Measure milk in a medium bowl and mix in egg, oil and vanilla.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir to mix.
- Spoon combined ingredients into the prepared tin and bake for 1 hour 10 minutes or until a knife inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Cool in the tin then turn out onto wire rack.
Store in an airtight container in a cool place. Best eaten within 3 days of baking.
This loaf can be frozen.
Variation: Use other dried fruit such as sultanas, chopped dates, dried cranberries or dried apricots instead of currants.
Serving Suggestion: Individually wrap slices for a healthy lunch box treat.
|per serve||per 100g|
|Energy||652 kJ||844 kJ|
|Protein||4.1 g||5.4 g|
|Fat, total||2.7 g||3.5 g|
|— saturated||0.6 g||0.8 g|
|Carbohydrate||27.6 g||35.7 g|
|— sugars||11.5 g||14.9 g|
|Sodium||178.7 mg||231.3 mg|
|Fibre||2.8 g||3.6 g|