- 200 g lean beef mince
- 1 onion
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tbs breadcrumbs
- to taste pepper, to taste
- spray olive or canola oil spray
- 2 wholemeal or wholegrain rolls
- 4 slice canned beetroot
- 1 tomato, sliced
- 4 leaves lettuce
- 1/2 avocado, sliced
- 2 tbs salt-reduced tomato sauce, optional
- In a medium bowl, add the mince, the finely chopped quarter of the onion, half the grated carrot, the Worcestershire sauce, breadcrumbs and a good crack of pepper. Mix, and use hands to shape into two patties about 2 cm thick . Put in the fridge for at least 20 minutes to firm up.
- Meanwhile, heat up a frypan and or BBQ and spray with a little oil. Cook the sliced onions, stirring often, till golden (at least 5 minutes). Remove onions from the pan.
- Spray the pan with a little more oil and cook the patties for about 4 minutes each side, until nicely browned and cooked all the way through.
- Slice open the rolls and stack the patties, onions, tomato sauce and salad (including the leftover grated carrot) inside.
Variation: Make smaller patties and use dinner rolls or English muffins to make “slider” burgers.
Comment: *To make this dish seafood free, replace Worcestershire sauce with half soy sauce, half tomato sauce.
Start to LiveLighter today
Become a member for free and receive your personalised meal plan.
|per serve||per 100g|
|Energy||2201 kJ||518 kJ|
|Protein||37 g||9 g|
|Fat, total||17 g||4 g|
|— saturated||5 g||1 g|
|Carbohydrate||48 g||11 g|
|— sugars||14 g||3 g|
|Sodium||785 mg||185 mg|
|Fibre||13 g||3 g|