Healthy Sweet Potato Gnocchi With Roasted Tomato Cream Recipe
- 800 g sweet potato
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1 head garlic, whole
- 750 g cherry tomatoes
- 125 g reduced-fat smooth ricotta cheese
- to taste pepper
- 1 cup basil leaves, to serve
Preheat oven to 220ºC. Fill a large-sized saucepan with water and bring to the boil.
Begin roasting garlic and tomatoes for the sauce while preparing the gnocchi.
- Prick potatoes all over with a sharp knife, place on a plate and microwave on HIGH 100% for 10-12 minutes turning half way through, until flesh is tender in the centre.
- Cut in half lengthways to let the steam/ moisture out and allow to cool. This is important as a cool, dry potato is much easier to work with.
- Scoop flesh from skin, place into a medium sized-bowl and mash until smooth. Add half the flour to sweet potato and mix to incorporate. You may need to add a bit more flour, but try to use as little as possible.
- Sprinkle a tablespoon of flour onto a clean work surface and knead potato mixture to form a dry dough which is slightly springy. If still sticky, add flour a tablespoon at a time as necessary.
- Divide dough into four portions and roll each into a log of 2cm diameter. Use a knife to cut the roll into 1.5cm lengths to make about 20 gnocchi. Shape each into a rough ball. Gently press each with a floured fork to create traditional gnocchi grooves if desired. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Place half the gnocchi into boiling water and cook until they rise to the surface, about 2 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and gently place into bowls on roast tomato sauce. Repeat with remaining gnocchi.
Roast tomato sauce
- Wrap whole head of garlic (unpeeled) in foil and place with tomatoes into a shallow oven-proof dish. Roast for 20 - 25 minutes until skins blister and tomatoes are tender.
- Squeeze garlic out of their skins, and mash with a fork or finely chop.
- Mix together garlic, tomatoes and their juices, ricotta and pepper.
- Divide sauce among serving bowls and top with cooked gnocchi and basil.
We are family! Enjoy some quality time together at the dinner table and switch off all other distractions.
|per serving||per 100g|
|Energy||1304 kJ||313 kJ|
|Protein||10.8 g||2.6 g|
|Fat, total||1.9 g||0.5 g|
|— saturated||0.7 g||0.2 g|
|Carbohydrate||56 g||13.5 g|
|— sugars||15.1 g||3.6 g|
|Sodium||76 mg||18 mg|
|Fibre||11.5 g||2.8 g|