Healthy Lamb Shank & Vegetable Soup Recipe
- 4 lamb shanks
- 6 cups water
- 1 cup barley or soup mix
- 4 medium potatoes , diced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 small turnip, peeled and diced
- 2 sticks celery, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and finely chopped
- Place lamb shanks in the pot with water and simmer for 2 hours.
- Remove shanks and strain excess stock and refrigerate until set, about 4 hours or overnight. Remove the fat off the top of the stock. Dispose of fat.
- Shred the meat from the lamb shanks and dice. Place in a bowl to add later.
- In a large saucepan bring stock water, 6 cups of water, 1 cup of barley or soup mix to the boil. Cover and set aside without cooking for 1 hour.
- Remove any scum (fat) that has risen to the top.
- Cook for ½ hour and then add chopped up potatoes, onion, turnip, celery and carrot. Cook for another ½ hour or until vegies are soft.
- Add pepper and cooked diced meat.
- Serve with bread or bread rolls
Recipe from Deadly Tucker cookbook (Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander-FOODcents manual, 2006), North Metropolitan Health Service, Department of Health WA. Reproduced with permission.
Vegies are a great source of healthy nutrients. Try to include extra vegetables at lunch and dinner.
Start to LiveLighter today
Become a member for free and receive your personalised meal plan.
|per serving||per 100g|
|Energy||1598 kJ||263 kJ|
|Protein||29.8 g||4.9 g|
|Fat, total||12.9 g||2.1 g|
|— saturated||4.7 g||0.8 g|
|Carbohydrate||32.9 g||5.4 g|
|— sugars||3.2 g||0.5 g|
|Sodium||87 mg||14 mg|
|Fibre||6.3 g||1 g|