Healthy Spicy Pumpkin Soup Recipe
- 1 tsp canola oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 3 cups pumpkin, peeled and chopped into 2cm cubes
- 1 small sweet potato, peeled and chopped into 2cm cubes
- 2 medium potatoes , peeled and chopped into 2cm cubes
- 1 apple, peeled, cored and quartered
- 1 tsp reduced-salt vegetable stock
- 1 L water
- 4 tbs low-fat natural or Greek yoghurt, to serve
- 4 slices wholemeal or multigrain bread, to serve
- Heat oil in a large pot and fry onion, garlic, cumin and curry powder for 2 minutes.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and simmer for 10 minutes or until the vegetables are just soft.
- Use a stick blender, normal blender or food processor to blitz the soup till smooth. Add more water if you prefer a runnier soup.
- Serve with a slice of toast and a spoonful of yoghurt.
Variation: Roast the vegies in the oven first for a sweeter, more intense flavour
Comment: If you are making the soup to freeze, use less water and make a very thick soup. When cooled, put a big ladleful in a freezer bag, squeeze out all the air and then freeze. To defrost, put in the microwave or a pot with a ladleful of water.
Still hungry? Try a side of salad or vegies before going for seconds.
|per serving||per 100g|
|Energy||1457 kJ||211 kJ|
|Protein||12.7 g||1.8 g|
|Fat, total||4.5 g||0.6 g|
|— saturated||0.7 g||0.1 g|
|Carbohydrate||58.1 g||8.4 g|
|— sugars||24.4 g||3.5 g|
|Sodium||431 mg||62.4 mg|
|Fibre||10.6 g||1.5 g|
You might also like
Green Pea Soup
Bright green in colour and fresh in taste - this soup is perfect for a cold Winter's night