Healthy Spinach & Cheese Rolls Recipe
- 2 x 250 g packets frozen spinach
- 1 tsp canola oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 medium zucchini, grated and squeezed of extra moisture
- 200 g low-fat cottage cheese
- 2 tbs sweet chilli sauce
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- pepper, to taste
- 8 sheets filo pastry
- olive or canola oil spray
- 2 tbs reduced-fat milk
- Pre-heat oven to 180°C and line a large baking tray with baking paper.
- Defrost the spinach in the microwave (about 5 minutes on HIGH) and use your hands or a sieve to squeeze as much water as you can out of the spinach.
- Heat oil in a large frypan and cook onion, garlic, spinach and zucchini for about 5 minutes, stirring, until soft.
- Add the cottage cheese, sweet chilli sauce, Worcestershire sauce and pepper. Mix well and take off the heat.
- Place a single layer of filo pastry down on a bench and spray lightly with oil. Lay another sheet of filo over the top. It doesn’t matter if there are cracks or holes in the pastry, just try to line up the sheets so the cracks are covered. Cover the unused filo with a damp tea towel so it doesn’t dry out while you’re working.
- Spoon a quarter of the filling in a line along the short edge of the pastry. Tuck in the edges and roll it up almost all the way. Seal the edge by wetting it with a little milk and pressing it down. Place the roll edge-side down on the baking tray and use a brush or your fingers to wet the top of the pastry with milk.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until the pastry is golden and crispy.
Variation: Experiment with different sizes and shapes. Mini triangles or rolls make a great party dish!
Start to LiveLighter today
Become a member for free and receive your personalised meal plan.
|per serving||per 100g|
|Energy||1306 kJ||432 kJ|
|Protein||19 g||6.3 g|
|Fat, total||6.1 g||2 g|
|— saturated||2 g||0.7 g|
|Carbohydrate||39.6 g||13.1 g|
|— sugars||10.8 g||3.6 g|
|Sodium||713.5 mg||236 mg|
|Fibre||10.8 g||3.6 g|
You might also like
Green Pea Soup
Bright green in colour and fresh in taste - this soup is perfect for a cold Winter's night