Healthy Sausage Casserole Recipe
- 1 cup dried lentils, or see variation
- 1 tsp canola oil
- 8 sausages
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 cup water
- 1 tbs ground cumin
- 1 tsp reduced-salt vegetable stock
- Soak the lentils in a large bowl of water for about 8 hours. Drain the lentils just before using them.
- Heat oil in a large pot with a lid.
- Gently fry the sausages for 5-10 minutes to give them a brown colour.
- Add the onions and garlic and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, put the lid on and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until the lentils and vegetables are tender and the sausages are cooked through.
Variation: Replace the dried and soaked lentils with 2 x 400g cans of lentils, rinsed and drained. If using canned lentils don’t add the cup of water.
Comment: Look for low-fat or lean sausages that haven't been smoked or cured. Stock up when they're on special and freeze the extras.
To eat less saturated fat, choose leaner cuts of meat and and trim the fat off meat before cooking.
Start to LiveLighter today
Become a member for free and receive your personalised meal plan.
|per serving||per 100g|
|Energy||1461 kJ||461 kJ|
|Protein||19 g||6 g|
|Fat, total||21.8 g||6.9 g|
|— saturated||9.5 g||3 g|
|Carbohydrate||15.2 g||4.8 g|
|— sugars||4.3 g||1.3 g|
|Sodium||700.2 mg||220.8 mg|
|Fibre||8.5 g||2.7 g|