Healthy Sausage Casserole Recipe
- 1 cup dried lentils, or see variation
- 1 tsp canola oil
- 8 sausages
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 cup water
- 1 tbs ground cumin
- 1 tsp reduced-salt vegetable stock
- Soak the lentils in a large bowl of water for about 8 hours. Drain the lentils just before using them.
- Heat oil in a large pot with a lid.
- Gently fry the sausages for 5-10 minutes to give them a brown colour.
- Add the onions and garlic and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, put the lid on and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until the lentils and vegetables are tender and the sausages are cooked through.
Variation: Replace the dried and soaked lentils with 2 x 400g cans of lentils, rinsed and drained. If using canned lentils don’t add the cup of water.
Comment: Look for low-fat or lean sausages that haven't been smoked or cured. Stock up when they're on special and freeze the extras.
Swap a large portion of meat for a smaller portion with extra vegetables.
|per serving||per 100g|
|Energy||1461 kJ||461 kJ|
|Protein||19 g||6 g|
|Fat, total||21.8 g||6.9 g|
|— saturated||9.5 g||3 g|
|Carbohydrate||15.2 g||4.8 g|
|— sugars||4.3 g||1.3 g|
|Sodium||700.2 mg||220.8 mg|
|Fibre||8.5 g||2.7 g|
You might also like
Mexican Mince - Loaded Potato Style
This mince is so versatile, check out the variations or invent your own!