Healthy Falafel Wrap Recipe
- 1 x 400g can no-added-salt chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1 carrot, to make 1/2 cup, grated
- 1/2 onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 3 tbs wholemeal plain flour
- 1 tbs sweet chilli sauce
- 1 tsp ground cumin, optional
- 1 tsp ground coriander, optional
- 1 tbs canola oil
- 2 wholemeal or wholegrain wraps
- 1/4 cup parsley, chopped
- 1 capsicum, chopped
- 1 Lebanese cucumber, chopped
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat plain yoghurt
Note: this makes 12 felafel, but you only need 8 to put in the wraps. The 4 leftover felafels will keep in the fridge for a few days or can be frozen for 2 months.
- If you have a food processor, put the chickpeas, peas, grated carrot (squeeze any juice out), onion, garlic, flour, chilli sauce and spices in and blitz till you get a chunky but sticky texture.
- If you don’t have a food processor, finely chop the onion and garlic, mash the chickpeas and peas and grate the carrot. Squeeze out as much moisture as you can from the grated carrots. Add all the other felafel ingredients (except the oil) and mix well.
- Take a big spoonful of the mixture and roll into a ball with your hands. Flatten the ball and place on a plate. Repeat with the rest of the mixture. This mixture makes about 12 felafels.
- Put felafels in the fridge for 20 minutes to firm up before cooking. Meanwhile, finely chop the parsley, capsicum and cucumber.
- Heat half the oil in a large, non-stick frying pan. Add about half the felafels, being careful not to overcrowd the pan. Cook for about 3 minutes, until golden brown, then flip over and cook for another 3 minutes. Place them on paper towel while you cook the rest of the felafel.
- Serve 4 balls in each wrap with half the salad and a drizzle of yoghurt.
We are family! Enjoy some quality time together at the dinner table and switch off all other distractions.
|per serving||per 100g|
|Energy||2120 kJ||253 kJ|
|Protein||20 g||5 g|
|Fat, total||15 g||4 g|
|— saturated||2 g||0.5 g|
|Carbohydrate||65 g||16 g|
|— sugars||15 g||4 g|
|Sodium||1080 mg||268 mg|
|Fibre||13 g||3 g|
You might also like
Pantry Pasta 3-2-1
This fast vegie spaghetti is made from pantry staples - perfect for a quick weeknight meal.