Healthy Roasted Cauliflower & Barley Salad Recipe
- 3/4 cup pearl barley, uncooked
- 1 head cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1 red onion, cut into wedges
- spray olive or canola oil spray
- 1 1/2 tbs ground cumin
- to taste pepper
- 1 1/2 cups low-fat natural or Greek yoghurt
- 1 x 400g can no-added-salt brown lentils, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup currants
- 1/2 cup parsley, chopped
- 2 cups rocket or baby spinach
- 1 tbs red wine vinegar
- 2/3 cup roasted almonds, chopped
- Preheat oven to 200°C and line a tray with baking paper.
- Place barley into a medium saucepan and fill 2/3 way with water. Bring to the boil, then cover and simmer for 35 minutes or until tender. Drain and set aside to cool.
- Place cauliflower and onion on the baking tray, spray with a little oil, sprinkle with half of the cumin and cracked pepper. Roast for 20 minutes, until golden brown.
- In a small bowl, combine yoghurt and the remaining cumin.
- Combine barley, cauliflower, onion, lentils, currants, parsley, baby spinach, vinegar and almonds onto a serving plate. Drizzle the yoghurt dressing over the top of the salad.
- Instead of roasting cauliflower, blitz in a food processor until it’s a chunky couscous texture and add raw to the salad.
- Swap dried fruit for fresh pomegranate seeds and almonds for other crunchy toppings, like pinenuts, hazelnuts or pumpkin seeds.
- Replace barley with another cooked grain such as brown rice, quinoa, buckwheat, wholemeal couscous or freekah.
Comment: *To make this dish gluten-free, replace barley with a gluten-free grain like quinoa or brown rice. *To make this dish dairy-free, replace yoghurt with a plain vegan yoghurt, or 2 tbs of tahini and some water or lemon juice to thin out. 2 cups of baby spinach is about 120g. 2/3 cup roasted almonds is about 75g. 3/4 cup pearl barley is about 130g raw.
Choose plain water or soda water in place of a sugary drink.
|per serving||per 100g|
|Energy||2157 kJ||437 kJ|
|Protein||22.9 g||4.6 g|
|Fat, total||16.2 g||3.3 g|
|— saturated||3 g||0.6 g|
|Carbohydrate||60.2 g||12.2 g|
|— sugars||31.1 g||6.3 g|
|Sodium||206 mg||42 mg|
|Fibre||15.7 g||3.2 g|
You might also like
A Mediterranean-inspired combination of ripe tomatoes, juicy olives and creamy feta cheese.
Pumpkin & Feta Mini Frittatas
These mini frittata are great for brunch, a picnic or as a party canapé.