Grilled salmon with brown rice salad
- 2 cups cooked brown rice (from 1 cup uncooked rice)
- 6 spring onions (including green tops), thinly sliced
- 1 medium red capsicum, seeded and finely diced
- 1 medium yellow capsicum, seeded and finely diced
- 1/2 cup parsley, chopped
- 1/2 cup currants
- 4 x 100 g salmon fillet
- olive or canola oil spray
- 1 bunch bok choy, quartered
- 1/2 cup unsalted roasted cashews, roughly chopped, to serve
- 1 tbs reduced-salt soy sauce
- 2 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp honey
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- In a large bowl, mix together cooked rice, spring onions, capsicums, parsley and currants.
- To make dressing, combine soy sauce, vinegar, honey, sesame oil and lemon juice in a cup. Pour over salad and stir through well.
- Place a metal steamer into a large saucepan with a few centimetres of water. Add bok choy and bring to the boil. Steam with lid on for 3 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile heat a griddle, barbeque grill or large non-stick frypan on high. Lightly spray each side of salmon with oil, season with pepper. Reduce heat to medium and cook salmon for 3 minutes each side until golden brown and just cooked.
- Top rice salad with cashews then spoon onto serving plates.
- Add bok choy and salmon fillets; serve immediately.
Variation: Bok choy can be microwaved in a covered dish with a tablespoon of water on HIGH/100% for 2-3 minutes until just cooked.
Serving Suggestion: Brown rice salad is a great side dish at barbeques. It can be pre-made and refrigerated for 3 days, but cashews are best added just before serving. For best results, add dressing to the brown rice while still warm.
|per serve||per 100g|
|Energy||2421 kJ||651 kJ|
|Protein||33 g||9 g|
|Fat, total||24 g||6 g|
|— saturated||5 g||1 g|
|Carbohydrate||55 g||15 g|
|— sugars||20 g||5 g|
|Sodium||268 mg||72 mg|
|Fibre||6 g||2 g|