- 1 cup brown rice (uncooked)
- 7 cups water
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 500 g lean beef, cut into 2-3cm pieces
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/4 cup plain flour
- 1 cup water, extra
- 3 cups reduced-salt beef stock
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- 500 g frozen mixed vegetables
- Bring water and rice to boil in a saucepan.
- When the water has come to a boil, cover the pan and reduce the heat.
- Boil gently for 20-30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Once rice is cooked drain and set aside.
- On medium-high heat, add the olive oil to a large pot.
- Add the beef and cook until browned.
- Once browned, remove the beef and set aside.
- Add the onions and garlic, cook for about 5 minutes, until softened.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, and add the flour and cook for 2 minutes stirring often.
- Add water, scraping any brown bits stuck to the bottom of the pan. The flour will start to thicken the water as it comes to a simmer.
- Simmer water for 2 minutes, and then add the stock, coriander, thyme, rosemary, and the beef.
- Bring back to a gentle simmer, cover and cook on very low heat for about 1 hour.
- Add frozen vegetables and simmer, covered for another 15 minutes or until the meat and vegetables are tender.
- Serve warm on top of rice.
Variation: Replace frozen vegetables with 500g of fresh vegetables, simmer for 30 minutes or until meat and vegetables are tender.
Swap a large portion of meat for a smaller portion with extra vegetables.
|per serving||per 100g|
|Energy||1532 kJ||349 kJ|
|Protein||24.2 g||5.5 g|
|Fat, total||7.6 g||1.7 g|
|— saturated||1.7 g||0.4 g|
|Carbohydrate||45.6 g||10.4 g|
|— sugars||4.7 g||1.1 g|
|Sodium||515.6 mg||117.6 mg|
|Fibre||8.8 g||2 g|