Healthy Moroccan Beef With Couscous Recipe
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 3 tsp Moroccan seasoning
- 6 x 125 g lean beef, fat trimmed
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1/2 small red onion, finely chopped
- 10 dried apricots, chopped
- 1 cup couscous
- 1 tsp ground cumin or ground coriander
- 1 x 400g can no-added-salt chickpeas, drained
- 1/2 cup fresh coriander, chopped
- 2 cups green beans, trimmed and cut into 5cm lengths
- 1 head broccoli or broccolini, cut into florets
- Mix ¼ cup of orange juice and 2 teaspoons seasoning in a non-metal dish.
- Add steaks, turning to coat in juice mixture. Cover and set aside for 20 minutes to marinate.
- In a large heatproof bowl combine onion, apricots, couscous, cumin or dried coriander and remaining teaspoon of seasoning.
- In a small bowl, combine remaining ¼ cup of orange juice and boiling water. Add the orange juice mixture to couscous mix, cover and set aside.
- Place a metal steamer into a large saucepan with a few centimetres of water. Add beans and broccoli and bring to the boil. Steam with the lid on for 5-6 minutes or until bright green and tender.
- Heat a large non-stick frypan. Drain steaks well and discard marinade. Cook for 3 minutes on each side or until cooked to your liking.
- Remove from heat, cover and set aside to rest for 3 minutes.
- Fluff couscous with a fork to separate grains and stir through chickpeas and coriander.
Microwave beans and broccoli in a covered dish with 1-2 tablespoons of water on HIGH (100%) for 4 minutes until just tender. Stir after 2 minutes to ensure even cooking.
- Replace broccoli with a bunch of broccolini or 10 yellow squash.
- Replace beef with lamb steak.
To eat less saturated fat, choose leaner cuts of meat and and trim the fat off meat before cooking.
|per serving||per 100g|
|Energy||1400 kJ||393 kJ|
|Protein||36.7 g||10.3 g|
|Fat, total||6.2 g||1.7 g|
|— saturated||1.7 g||0.5 g|
|Carbohydrate||29 g||8.2 g|
|— sugars||5.6 g||1.6 g|
|Sodium||715.7 mg||201.2 mg|
|Fibre||6.9 g||1.9 g|