Healthy Cottage Kangaroo Pie Recipe
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 tbs skim milk powder
- 2 tbs canola oil
- 1000 g kangaroo mince
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 2 cups frozen peas
- 1 x 400g can no-added-salt brown lentils, drained
- 1 tbs Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tbs reduced-fat cheddar cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Fill a large pot with water. Place sweet potato and white potato into water, bring to the boil and cook for 10-15 minutes until soft.
- Drain potatoes and mash together with skim milk powder.
- Heat oil in fry pan, place kangaroo mince into the pan and cook until browned.
- Add chopped vegetables, frozen peas, lentils, Worcestershire sauce and 1/2 cup of water. Cook for 15 minutes.
- Place mixture into a casserole dish.
- Spread mashed potato on top of mince mixture and smooth with spoon. Top with grated cheese. Bake for 45 minutes or until golden brown on top.
Recipe from More Deadly Tucker cookbook (2013), North Metropolitan Health Service © State of Western Australia, reproduced with permission. Order the More Deadly Tucker cookbook here.
To eat less saturated fat, choose leaner cuts of meat and and trim the fat off meat before cooking.
|per serving||per 100g|
|Energy||1415 kJ||429 kJ|
|Protein||39.6 g||12 g|
|Fat, total||7.8 g||2.4 g|
|— saturated||1.5 g||0.5 g|
|Carbohydrate||23.3 g||7.1 g|
|— sugars||8.4 g||2.6 g|
|Sodium||264 mg||80 mg|
|Fibre||7.6 g||2.3 g|
You might also like
Beef Broccoli & Snow Pea Stir Fry
Speedy to prepare, this stir-fry is the perfect mid week meal. Take the left overs for lunch!