Healthy Warm Beef & Pumpkin Salad Recipe
- 1 kg Japanese, Kent or butternut pumpkin, peeled and cut into 1 1/2cm dice
- 2 cloves garlic, unpeeled
- olive or canola oil spray
- 1 tbs ground cumin
- 200 g baby spinach or mixed leaves
- 1 x 400g can no-added-salt chickpeas, drained
- 1/2 bunch fresh coriander, chopped
- 500 g lean beef, fat trimmed
- 200 g low-fat natural or Greek yoghurt
- juice of 1/4 lemon
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin, extra
- 1/2 tsp honey
- Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan forced).
- Place pumpkin cubes in a single layer on a oven tray lined with baking paper. Add garlic. Lightly spray with oil, sprinkle with ½ tablespoon cumin and roast in the oven for 25-30 minutes or until tender, turning halfway through cooking.
- In a large bowl combine spinach, chickpeas and coriander.
- Lightly spray a large non-stick frypan with oil and place on medium to high heat. Sprinkle remaining cumin onto both sides of steak. Grill for 3 minutes each side or until cooked to your liking. Remove from heat, cover and set aside to rest for 3 minutes before slicing thinly.
- To make dressing, squeeze cooked garlic out of its skin and mash in a small bowl. Add in yoghurt, lemon juice, extra cumin and honey; mix to combine.
- To serve, divide salad ingredients among serving plates then top with pumpkin and beef. Pour dressing over salad just before serving or serve in individual dishes on the side.
- Add 300g blanched green beans or asparagus.
- Include other salad ingredients such as cherry tomatoes or sliced cucumber, radish or red onion.
- Replace chickpeas with drained no-added-salt cannellini beans, butter beans or four bean mix.
Start to LiveLighter today
Become a member for free and receive your personalised meal plan.
|per serving||per 100g|
|Energy||1421 kJ||385 kJ|
|Protein||38 g||10 g|
|Fat, total||8 g||2 g|
|— saturated||2 g||0.6 g|
|Carbohydrate||23 g||6 g|
|— sugars||12 g||3 g|
|Sodium||256 mg||69 mg|
|Fibre||8 g||2 g|