Grilled pumpkin, asparagus and chicken salad
- olive or canola oil spray
- 8 chicken tenderloins
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 2 bunches asparagus, ends trimmed
- 450 g Japanese, Kent or butternut pumpkin, peeled, cut into 5mm thick slices
- 420 g no-added-salt brown lentils, drained and rinsed
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 150 g baby spinach or mixed leaves
- 250 g punnet cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup parsley, chopped
- Spray a barbecue, char-grill or griddle with oil, pre-heat to medium-high.
- Place chicken in a small dish with ½ the crushed garlic and lemon juice; stir to coat and set aside to marinate.
- Place asparagus on heated grill and cook for 7 minutes or until lightly charred, turning occasionally. Remove from grill, cut into 5cm pieces then set aside.
- Respray grill and cook pumpkin in batches for 2-3 minutes each side until charred and just tender. Remove from heat, cut into 3cm triangles and set aside.
- Respray grill and cook chicken for 2-3 minutes each side until cooked through.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl combine lentils, remaining ½ clove crushed garlic and balsamic.
- To serve, divide spinach or salad leaves, tomatoes, lentils with dressing, asparagus and pumpkin among serving plates.
- Sprinkle with parsley then top with chicken; serve immediately.
Cover dish, refrigerate and marinate chicken for as long as time permits, from 30 minutes to overnight.
- Add other chargrilled vegetables such as green beans, broccollini, cauliflower, zucchini, eggplant, capsicum or sweet potato.
- Include other vegies such as sliced red capsicum, cucumber, radish, red onion or semi-sundried tomatoes.
- Replace lentils with drained no-added-salt cannellini beans, butter beans, chickpeas or four bean mix.
|per serve||per 100g|
|Energy||1100 kJ||257 kJ|
|Protein||29.7 g||7 g|
|Fat, total||5.7 g||1.3 g|
|— saturated||0.8 g||0.2 g|
|Carbohydrate||17.5 g||4.1 g|
|— sugars||7.8 g||1.8 g|
|Sodium||58.2 mg||13.6 mg|
|Fibre||9.4 g||2.2 g|