Healthy Indonesian Slow Cooked Beef Recipe
- spray olive or canola oil spray
- 500 g chuck, oyster blade or lean casserole beef, trimmed of fat, cut into 1.5cm cubes
- 1 1/2 tbs plain flour
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 2 tsp fresh ginger, grated
- 2 tsp Chinese five-spice
- to taste pepper
- 500 g sweet potato, skin on, cut into 2cm cubes
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups reduced-salt beef stock
- 1 tbs reduced-salt soy sauce
- 2 cinnamon sticks, whole
- 1 star anise, whole
- 2 strips orange rind
- 1 cup brown or basmati rice (uncooked)
- 200 g mushroom, quartered
- 200 g green beans, trimmed and cut into 5cm lengths
- Place a large non-stick saucepan (that has a lid) on high heat and spray with oil.
- Shake beef and flour together in a plastic bag or container to coat all sides.
- Add half the beef to the hot pan and sear all over for 3-5 minutes until browned. Transfer to a plate, respray pan and repeat with remaining beef.
- Re-spray the pan with oil and cook onion on medium heat for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add garlic, ginger, five spice powder and pepper and stir for 1 minute until fragrant.
- Return beef to pan with sweet potato and carrots, cook a further minute to coat in spice mixture, adding a splash of stock if it begins to stick.
- Pour in remaining stock with soy sauce, cinnamon, star anise and orange peel. Mix well, cover and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 45 minutes to 1 hour, until beef is tender. Sweet potato will collapse and sauce will thicken.
- Cook rice according to packet instruction. (Note: brown rice will take a lot longer than basmati rice).
- Ten minutes before serving, mix in mushrooms and beans and simmer gently until beans are tender but still bright green.
- Serve with rice.
- To add heat, cook a chopped red chilli or teaspoon of chilli powder with spices.
- In the last minutes of cooking add other softer vegetables such as snow peas, baby corn spears, red capsicum or bean shoots.
We are family! Enjoy some quality time together at the dinner table and switch off all other distractions.
Start to LiveLighter today
Become a member for free and receive your personalised meal plan.
|per serving||per 100g|
|Energy||2204 kJ||426 kJ|
|Protein||32.7 g||6.3 g|
|Fat, total||10.7 g||2.1 g|
|— saturated||3.2 g||0.6 g|
|Carbohydrate||67.6 g||13.1 g|
|— sugars||12.8 g||2.5 g|
|Sodium||523 mg||101 mg|
|Fibre||12.1 g||2.3 g|
You might also like
Cottage Kangaroo Pie
Perfect for a cold winter's night, this shepherd's pie is packed full of flavour.