Healthy Lamb Shank With Mash Recipe
- spray olive or canola oil spray
- 1 lamb shank
- 1 tbs plain flour
- to taste pepper, to taste
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 10 mushrooms
- 1 x 400g can no-added-salt diced tomatoes
- 1 tbs Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbs dried rosemary, or 15 cm if using fresh
- 1 tbs plum jam
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp reduced-salt vegetable stock powder
- 2 potatoes, chopped
- 30 mL reduced-fat milk
- Preheat oven to 160°C.
- Toss lamb with flour and pepper in a plastic bag. Heat oil in a large non-stick frypan.
- Shake extra flour off lamb and pan-fry until brown on all sides (about 5 minutes) and place in a large casserole dish (best if dish has a lid).
- Add all vegetables except tomatoes and potatoes to the frypan and cook for 5 minutes, stirring often until they begin to colour slightly.
- Add the tomatoes, Worcestershire sauce, rosemary, jam, water, stock powder and leftover flour from the plastic bag. Stir well and bring to the boil.
- Pour tomato-vegetable mixture over the lamb, cover with a lid or foil and bake in the oven for at least 2 hours. Remove the casserole a couple of times during cooking, and ladle the sauce over the top of the meat to baste. After 2 ½ to 3 hours the meat should fall off the bone.
- To prepare mash, microwave or boil potatoes till a fork goes easily into the pieces. Add milk and pepper and mash well with a fork or potato masher until you get the texture you like.
To keep lean meats juicy and add flavour, try brushing with a marinade.
|per serving||per 100g|
|Energy||2103 kJ||288 kJ|
|Protein||38 g||5 g|
|Fat, total||18 g||3 g|
|— saturated||6 g||1 g|
|Carbohydrate||39 g||5 g|
|— sugars||25 g||3 g|
|Sodium||685 mg||94 mg|
|Fibre||11 g||2 g|
You might also like
Mexican Mince - Loaded Potato Style
This mince is so versatile, check out the variations or invent your own!
Beef Broccoli & Snow Pea Stir Fry
Speedy to prepare, this stir-fry is the perfect mid week meal. Take the left overs for lunch!
Indonesian Slow Cooked Beef 3-2-1
This fragrant beef and vegie combo will have you dreaming of your next Indonesian get-away.