Healthy Magic Moroccan Beef Recipe
- spray olive or canola oil spray
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 400 g chuck, oyster blade or lean casserole beef
- 3 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- to taste pepper
- 1 x 400g can no-added-salt diced tomatoes
- 1/2 butternut pumpkin, peeled and chopped
- 16 dried apricots, halved
- 1 cup water
- 2 tsp reduced-salt vegetable stock powder
- 1 x 400g can no-added-salt chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 1/2 cups couscous
- 1 cup coriander stalks and leaves, chopped (optional)
- 1 1/2 cups boiling water
- Heat oil in a large frying pan and cook onions and garlic on a medium heat till they soften.
- Turn up the heat and add the meat, stirring often to get it nice and brown on all sides.
- Add the spices, tomatoes, pumpkin, aprictos, water and half the vegetable stock powder. Cover with a lid or foil and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the chickpeas and stir, and cook for another 5 minutes with the lid off. The beef should be cooked through, the pumpkin soft and the sauce thick.
- Serve with couscous and fresh coriander.
Make the couscous while the stew is cooking:
- In a heat-proof bowl, add the couscous, half the vegetable stock powder and the boiling water. Give it a quick stir and cover the bowl with a lid or cling wrap.
- Set aside for 5 minutes.
- Use a fork to gently scratch the couscous grains to fluff them up.
Recipe from Foodbank WA’s Food Sensations® for Adults program, reproduced with permission www.foodbankwa.org.au/food-sensations-for-adults/
We are family! Enjoy some quality time together at the dinner table and switch off all other distractions.
Start to LiveLighter today
Become a member for free and receive your personalised meal plan.
|per serving||per 100g|
|Energy||1247 kJ||323 kJ|
|Protein||25.5 g||6.6 g|
|Fat, total||8.4 g||2.2 g|
|— saturated||1.9 g||0.5 g|
|Carbohydrate||24.6 g||6.4 g|
|— sugars||13.8 g||3.6 g|
|Sodium||538 mg||139 mg|
|Fibre||8.4 g||2.2 g|
You might also like
Beef & Bean Burrito
A vegie-packed beef con carne burrito - a fun, family dinner that the kids will love!