Healthy Lamb Tagine With Couscous Recipe
- spray olive or canola oil spray
- 200 g lean lamb, diced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp reduced-salt vegetable stock
- 1 x 400g can no-added-salt diced tomatoes
- 1 carrot
- 1/3 x 400g can no-added-salt chickpeas, drained
- 8 dried apricots
- 3/4 cup couscous
- 3/4 cup boiling water
- 1/2 lemon, zest and juice
- 1/4 cup coriander stalks and leaves, optional
- Spray a large non-stick pot with oil and place over medium heat.
- Add the lamb to pan and brown on all sides for 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Cook onion and garlic over medium-high heat for 3 minutes, stirring often. Add spices and cook for 1 minute until fragrant.
- Return meat to pan along with stock powder, tomatoes, chickpeas, carrots, apricots and coriander stems (if using). Season with pepper and stir to combine. Cover and allow to simmer for 20 minutes until vegetables are tender and lamb is cooked through. Check halfway through and add a little more water if required.
- In a medium heatproof bowl combine couscous, lemon juice and zest and boiling water. Cover and set aside for 3 minutes or until ready to serve. Fluff couscous with a fork to separate grains and stir through half the chopped coriander leaves.
- Divide couscous and tagine between serving plates and top with remaining coriander.
Variation: Leave out the lamb, and add a can of cannellini beans for an awesome take on baked beans
Comment: * To make a gluten free version, use rice or quinoa instead of couscous
Chilli, lemon and herbs add flavour - great alternatives to butter and salt!
Start to LiveLighter today
Become a member for free and receive your personalised meal plan.
|per serving||per 100g|
|Energy||2027 kJ||362 kJ|
|Protein||32 g||6 g|
|Fat, total||7 g||1 g|
|— saturated||2 g||0.3 g|
|Carbohydrate||64 g||11 g|
|— sugars||20 g||4 g|
|Sodium||568 mg||101 mg|
|Fibre||14 g||3 g|