Fluffy spinach and mushroom omelette
- 2 eggs, yolks and whites separated
- 1 tbs low-fat milk
- olive or canola oil spray
- 4 button mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 cup baby spinach leaves
- 1 tbs reduced-fat cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 tbs chives, chopped
- pepper, to taste
- Place the egg yolks in a medium bowl. Add the milk and mix well.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the egg whites until soft meringue-like peaks are formed. Gently fold egg whites into the egg yolk mixture and set aside.
- Spray a small non-stick frying pan with oil and place over medium heat. Add mushrooms and cook on medium heat for 3 minutes until softened. Add baby spinach and cook for a further minute until wilted. Remove from pan and wipe pan clean.
- Spray pan again and return to medium heat. Pour in the egg mixture and cook for 2-3 minutes or until surface is nearly firm. Sprinkle the cheese, mushrooms, spinach and pepper over half the omelette, then fold over the other side to enclose the filling. Garnish with the chopped chives.
- Vary the filling to include any combination of vegetables you prefer, such as asparagus, tomato, rocket leaves, leek, broccolini or red capsicum.
- For an Asian twist, try snow peas, bean sprouts, spring onion and a red chilli.
Serving Suggestion: Substitute the chives with other fresh herbs such as basil, parsley or thyme.
Start to LiveLighter today
Become a member for free and receive your personalised meal plan.
|per serve||per 100g|
|Energy||1011 kJ||534 kJ|
|Protein||21.4 g||11.3 g|
|Fat, total||15.6 g||8.2 g|
|— saturated||5.5 g||2.9 g|
|Carbohydrate||3.5 g||1.8 g|
|— sugars||2.9 g||1.5 g|
|Sodium||415 mg||219 mg|
|Fibre||1.6 g||0.8 g|