Healthy Poached Egg With Asparagus Recipe
- 1/3 cup low-fat natural yoghurt
- 1 tbs lemon juice
- 2 tsp white vinegar
- 1 tbs chives, chopped
- 2 bunches asparagus, ends trimmed
- 2 tsp white vinegar, extra
- 2 eggs, at room temperature
- 1 wholegrain English muffin, split
- 1/2 small avocado, peeled and stoned
- chives, chopped, to serve
- To make dressing, combine yoghurt, lemon juice, vinegar and chives in a small bowl. Divide between two small bowls.
- Fill a large, deep frypan with water and bring to the boil. Add asparagus and simmer over medium heat for 2 minutes or until bright green and tender. Refresh in tap water, drain and set aside.
- Bring frypan back to the boil and add extra vinegar. Break an egg into a cup or saucer. Keep water just simmering, then stir in one direction to create a whirlpool. Tip egg into the centre of the pan. Cook without stirring for 2-3 minutes for a soft yolk or 3-4 minutes for a firm-set yolk. Remove the cooked egg with a slotted spoon and drain on a plate lined with paper towels; cover to keep warm. Repeat with remaining egg.
- Toast English muffin and spread each half with avocado. Place on a plate with asparagus and dressing. Top muffin with poached egg, season with black pepper and sprinkle with extra chives. Serve immediately.
Microwave asparagus in a covered dish with 1 tablespoon water on HIGH (100%) for 2 minutes until just tender. Alternatively, spray with olive or canola oil spray and barbeque for 1-2 minutes turning frequently until slightly charred.
To poach eggs using a microwave, half fill a coffee mug (or similar) with tap water and a very small splash of white vinegar. Crack egg into the mug, without breaking the yolk. Place the mug in the microwave for 1 minute on high. If you start to hear crackling/popping noises, stop the microwave and check the egg to see if it’s cooked. For a thoroughly cooked egg, place in microwave for a further 30 seconds. Discard hot water and serve.
Simple switch idea: try reduced-fat milk, cheese and yoghurt.
|per serving||per 100g|
|Energy||1393 kJ||642 kJ|
|333 Cal||153 Cal|
|Protein||13.5 g||6.2 g|
|Fat, total||22.3 g||10.3 g|
|— saturated||5.7 g||2.6 g|
|Carbohydrate||17.7 g||8.2 g|
|— sugars||4.7 g||2.2 g|
|Sodium||241.9 mg||111.6 mg|
|Fibre||9.1 g||2.2 g|
You might also like
Fluffy Spinach & Mushroom Omelette
Delicious and satisfying, this omelette will soon become a breakfast favourite.