Healthy Moussaka Recipe
- 1 eggplant, cut into 1cm slices
- 400 g lean lamb mince
- 1 large brown onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 large carrot, peeled and grated
- 425 g can crushed tomatoes
- 1 tbs no-added-salt tomato paste
- 1 bay leaf
- olive or canola oil spray
- 1 tbs parsley, chopped (optional)
- 1 1/4 cups reduced-fat milk
- 1 1/2 tbs plain flour
- 15 g Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 cup reduced-fat ricotta cheese
- pinch cayenne pepper
- pinch ground nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 200°C (180°C fan forced).
- Sprinkle eggplant with salt and leave for 30 minutes.
- Heat non-stick frypan and cook lamb over medium-high. Heat until browned.
- Remove lamb and cook the onion and garlic in meat juices until softened.
- Return the meat, add carrot, tomatoes, tomato paste and bay leaf, cover and simmer for 15–20 minutes.
- Heat the grill. Rinse eggplant slices with water and pat dry with paper towels. Spray eggplant lightly with oil and grill until golden on each side.
- Lay half the eggplant in a rectangle baking dish (approx. 30cm x 20cm). Cover with half the meat sauce. Repeat.
- In a saucepan, mix half a cup of milk with flour until smooth. Stir in remaining milk. Cook, stirring, over low heat until thickened. Remove from heat and stir through Parmesan cheese. Stir in ricotta, cayenne pepper and nutmeg.
- Pour over dish and bake for 40–45 minutes until golden brown.
- Sprinkle the chopped parsley, if using, over the top before serving.
Recipe from Healthy Food Fast © State of Western Australia, 2012. Reproduced with permission
Start to LiveLighter today
Become a member for free and receive your personalised meal plan.
|per serving||per 100g|
|Energy||1242 kJ||353 kJ|
|Protein||25.7 g||7.3 g|
|Fat, total||13.7 g||3.9 g|
|— saturated||6.4 g||1.8 g|
|Carbohydrate||13.9 g||4 g|
|— sugars||11.5 g||3.3 g|
|Sodium||301 mg||86 mg|
|Fibre||5 g||1.4 g|
You might also like
Indonesian Slow Cooked Beef 3-2-1
This fragrant beef and vegie combo will have you dreaming of your next Indonesian get-away.