Healthy Spicy Orange Chicken With Baked Vegie Parcels Recipe
- 8 chicken lovely legs (800g) or skinless drumsticks, trimmed of fat
- juice of 2 oranges
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tbs ground cumin
- pepper, to taste
- 1 tbs honey
- grated rind of 1 orange
- 700 g pumpkin, peeled and cut into 1cm cubes
- 500 g sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1cm cubes
- 1 red onion, sliced into wedges
- 1 x 400g can no-added-salt chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- Preheat oven to 200°C (180°C fan forced).
Divide orange juice, garlic, cumin/coriander and pepper evenly between two cups, stir to combine.
Add honey and rind to one cup for chicken marinade.
Place chicken in a medium sized baking dish, pour marinade over and toss to coat chicken.
To make vegetable parcels, cut four 50cm lengths of both baking paper and foil. Place foil on a flat surface, top with baking paper. Divide the pumpkin, sweet potato, onion and chickpeas amongst the parcels. Pour ¼ marinade on each parcel. Fold the long sides of baking paper and foil over filling to enclose, tuck short sides under to seal. Place parcels on a tray and bake with chicken, uncovered, for 15 minutes.
Turn legs over and cook for a further 15 minutes until chicken is browned and cooked through, and vegetables are tender.
Divide chicken between plates, spoon over any pan juices. Add a vegetable parcel to be opened at the table, or spoon vegetables and sauce onto plates. Serve immediately.
Cover dish, refrigerate and marinate chicken for as long as time permits, from 30 minutes to overnight.
- Replace chickpeas with a can of drained no-added-salt cannellini beans.
- Stir baby spinach leaves through vegetable parcels prior to serving.
|per serving||per 100g|
|Energy||1698 kJ||424 kJ|
|Protein||33.9 g||8.5 g|
|Fat, total||9.8 g||2.4 g|
|— saturated||2.4 g||0.6 g|
|Carbohydrate||40.6 g||10.2 g|
|— sugars||19.8 g||5 g|
|Sodium||265.5 mg||66.4 mg|
|Fibre||9.8 g||2.5 g|
You might also like
Chicken Pad Thai
Put your own spin on this dish by tweaking the lime, chilli and coriander to your liking.