Healthy Loaded Mushroom Burger Recipe
- spray olive or canola oil spray
- 1 red onion
- 4 large flat field or Portobello mushrooms
- to taste pepper
- 4 slices reduced-fat cheese
- 4 eggs
- 4 roll wholegrain or sourdough roll
- 2 tbs chutney or relish
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1 tomato, sliced
- 4 pickled cucumbers or gherkins, sliced thinly lengthways
- 4 leaves lettuce
- Spray a barbecue plate or large griddle pan with oil and heat on high. Slice onion into 1-2 cm thick slices, keeping rings intact. Place on grill and cook for 4-5 minutes each side.
- Trim the mushroom stalk and place on the barbecue, stalk side down. Cook mushrooms 4-6 minutes then flip, season with pepper and cook mushrooms a further 2-4 minutes. Add cheese slice and cook for 2 more minutes until mushroom is cooked through and cheese is melted.
- Spray a large non-stick fry pan or flat barbeque plate with oil and heat over medium heat. Crack eggs carefully into the pan and cook until tops of white are set but yolks are still runny.
- Slice bread rolls in half and hollow out the tops to make more room for the fillings if you need. Lightly toast if desired.
- To assemble burgers, spread each roll base with chutney, add cooked onion slice, a cheesy mushroom and an egg. Fill each roll top with ¼ avocado then load up with tomato, pickles and lettuce. Carefully sandwich both roll halves together and secure with a wooden skewer. Serve immediately.
Variation: Other tasty burger additions: grilled pineapple, fresh or canned beetroot, sauerkraut or coleslaw.
Serving Suggestion: Try and match the size of the mushrooms and rolls.
Comment: *Use gluten-free rolls to make this recipe gluten-free. *Leave out the cheese to make this recipe dairy-free. One large field mushroom is about 100g.
Try mustard instead of mayonnaise to add extra flavour to your salads and sandwiches.
|per serving||per 100g|
|Energy||2181 kJ||598 kJ|
|Protein||25 g||6.9 g|
|Fat, total||25.1 g||6.9 g|
|— saturated||7.3 g||2 g|
|Carbohydrate||42.9 g||11.8 g|
|— sugars||15.8 g||4.3 g|
|Sodium||894 mg||245 mg|
|Fibre||8.9 g||2.4 g|