Healthy One Pan Mexican Chicken Recipe
- 1 tsp olive or canola oil spray
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 200 g skinless chicken breast
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2/3 cup rice (uncooked)
- 1/2 capsicum, chopped
- 1/2 zucchini, chopped
- 1 x 400 g can no-added-salt diced tomatoes
- 2/3 cup water
- 2 tsp reduced-salt vegetable stock powder
- fresh coriander, optional
- 1 lime, optional
- Heat oil in a large frying pan that has a lid. Cook onion and garlic for 2 minutes, until softened.
- Add chicken and cook for another 3 minutes, until the chicken has a light golden colour but is not quite cooked through.
- Add the spices and rice and cook for a minute, stirring.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and bring to the boil, stirring often.
- Reduce the heat, put the lid on and simmer for 12 – 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. If the dish is dry or sticking to the pan, add a splash of hot water, stir and put the lid back on. It’s ready when the chicken is cooked though and the rice is tender.
- Serve with a squeeze of lime and fresh coriander if desired.
Use 2 tsp of curry powder instead of the smoked paprika to travel from Mexico to India
This recipe uses white rice (like long grain or basmati). Using brown rice will take at least twice as long to cook and may need more liquid.
We are family! Enjoy some quality time together at the dinner table and switch off all other distractions.
|per serving||per 100g|
|Energy||2194 kJ||362 kJ|
|524 Cal||87 Cal|
|Protein||36 g||6 g|
|Fat, total||8 g||1 g|
|— saturated||2 g||0.3 g|
|Carbohydrate||70 g||12 g|
|— sugars||12 g||2 g|
|Sodium||708 mg||117 mg|
|Fibre||10 g||2 g|
You might also like
Asian Chicken Salad
Showcasing the four key tastes of Thai cooking: salty, sweet and slightly sour with a hint of spice.
Chicken Cacciatore Pasta
This “hunter-style” meal is well balanced with flavours of tomato and olives