Healthy One Pan Mexican Chicken Recipe
- spray olive or canola oil spray
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 200 g skinless chicken breast
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2/3 cup rice (uncooked)
- 1/2 capsicum, chopped
- 1/2 zucchini, chopped
- 1 x 400g can no-added-salt diced tomatoes
- 2/3 cup water
- 2 tsp reduced-salt vegetable stock powder
- fresh coriander, optional
- Heat oil in a large, non-stick frying pan that has a lid. Cook onion and garlic for 2 minutes, until softened.
- Add chicken and cook for another 3 minutes, until the chicken has a light golden colour but is not quite cooked through.
- Add the spices and rice and cook for a minute, stirring.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and bring to the boil, stirring often
- Reduce the heat, put the lid on and simmer, stirring every 5 minutes. If the dish is dry or sticking to the pan, add a splash of water, stir and put the lid back on. It’s ready when the chicken is cooked though and the rice is tender, about 12-15 minutes. Serve with lime wedges and fresh coriander.
Variation: Use 2 tsp of curry powder instead of the smoked paprika to travel from Mexico to India
Comment: This recipe uses white rice (like long grain or basmati). Using brown rice will take at least twice as long to cook and may need more liquid.
Chilli, lemon and herbs add flavour - great alternatives to butter and salt!
Start to LiveLighter today
Become a member for free and receive your personalised meal plan.
|per serving||per 100g|
|Energy||2194 kJ||362 kJ|
|Protein||36 g||6 g|
|Fat, total||8 g||1 g|
|— saturated||2 g||0.3 g|
|Carbohydrate||70 g||12 g|
|— sugars||12 g||2 g|
|Sodium||708 mg||117 mg|
|Fibre||10 g||2 g|