Healthy Mason Jar Rainbow Salad Recipe
- 1 1/2 cups wholemeal couscous
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 350 mL boiling water
- 200 mL orange juice
- 1 tbs balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbs wholegrain mustard
- to taste pepper
- 2 carrots, grated
- 1 x 400g can no-added-salt corn kernels, drained
- 250 g cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1 x 400g can no-added-salt chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups baby spinach leaves
- 6 hard-boiled eggs, peeled and quartered
- Place couscous and garlic in a small heatproof bowl, pour over boiling water; cover and set aside for 3 minutes then fluff with a fork.
- In a small jug or bowl, combine juice, vinegar and mustard; season well with pepper.
- Evenly divide the dressing into each of the jars then layer in couscous, carrots, corn, tomatoes and chickpeas. Add the spinach and compress well to make room for eggs at the top of the jar. Seal the lid and refrigerate.
- To serve, tip salad ingredients into a bowl and toss to combine.
Variation: Pack each jar with 2 cups of your preferred colourful ingredients with dressing in the bottom, leafy greens and nuts and seeds towards the top and everything else layered in between.
Serving Suggestion: >This salad keeps the dressing at the bottom separate from leafy greens at the top and can be made a few days in advance. >Recipe requires sealable glass jars or tall lidded plastic containers of at least 500mL capacity. >Once airtight, salad can be refrigerated upright for up to 5 days; cheese and proteins are best added to salad ingredients on the day of consumption if to be consumed after day 3.
Comment: *To make this recipe gluten-free replace couscous with quinoa or rice. Need about 2 oranges to get 200mL orange juice. 2 cups baby spinach is about 120g.
Choose plain water or soda water in place of a sugary drink.
|per serving||per 100g|
|Energy||1984 kJ||367 kJ|
|Protein||23 g||4.3 g|
|Fat, total||8.3 g||1.5 g|
|— saturated||1.8 g||0.3 g|
|Carbohydrate||68.2 g||12.6 g|
|— sugars||15.4 g||2.9 g|
|Sodium||459 mg||85 mg|
|Fibre||14.9 g||2.8 g|
You might also like
A Mediterranean-inspired combination of ripe tomatoes, juicy olives and creamy feta cheese.