Healthy Couscous Chickpea Salad Recipe
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- 2 tsp ground cumin or curry powder
- 1 1/2 cups couscous, uncooked
- 1 x 400g can no-added-salt chickpeas, drained
- 3 tomatoes, finely diced
- 1/4 cup parsley, chopped
- 2 spring onions (including green tops), sliced
- rind of 1 lemon or orange, grated
- 2 oranges, juiced
- 1 tsp olive oil
- Bring stock to the boil and add cumin.
- Remove from heat and mix in couscous.
- Cover and allow to stand for 5 minutes until stock is absorbed.
- Mix in remaining ingredients.
- Serve warm or cold.
Recipe from Healthy Food Fast © State of Western Australia, 2012. Reproduced with permission.
- Substitute tomatoes with 1 red capsicum.
- Replace spring onions with ½ cup finely chopped red onion.
Try mustard instead of mayonnaise to add extra flavour to your salads and sandwiches.
Start to LiveLighter today
Become a member for free and receive your personalised meal plan.
|per serving||per 100g|
|Energy||855 kJ||414 kJ|
|Protein||7.2 g||3.5 g|
|Fat, total||3.6 g||1.8 g|
|— saturated||0.4 g||0.2 g|
|Carbohydrate||33.1 g||16 g|
|— sugars||3.6 g||1.8 g|
|Sodium||270.9 mg||131.2 mg|
|Fibre||4.5 g||2.2 g|