Healthy Moroccan Baked Eggplant Recipe
- 2 eggplants
- spray olive or canola oil spray
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tbs ground cumin
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp turmeric
- to taste pepper
- 3/4 cup wholemeal couscous
- 1 x 400g can no-added-salt brown lentils, drained and rinsed
- 1 x 400g can no-added-salt diced tomatoes
- 1 lemon, zested and cut into wedges
- 2 tbs raisins
- 1/2 cup flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 4 tbs pine nuts
- 100 g reduced-fat feta cheese
- Preheat oven to 200ºC (180ºC fan-forced) and line a tray or oven-proof dish with baking paper.
- Halve eggplants lengthways. Create a cavity by cutting a 1cm-wide border around the edge of each eggplant half. Use a teaspoon to scoop out the flesh then dice and reserve for filling.
- Put eggplant shells in the oven (even if it’s not fully heated yet) while you prepare the filling.
- Place a large non-stick saucepan on medium-high heat and spray with oil. Cook onion for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add garlic and spices and cook for another minute until fragrant.
- Add eggplant flesh, couscous, lentils, tomatoes, lemon zest and raisins, and half each of the parsley, pine nuts and feta. Stir to combine.
- Remove the eggplants from the oven and fill with the couscous and lentil mixture.
- Cover tray with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove foil, add remaining feta and pine nuts and bake a further 10-15 minutes until cheese is browned and eggplant is tender.
- Place an eggplant half on each serving plate and top with remaining parsley and serve with lemon wedges.
- Swap the lentils for 300 g beef or lamb mince and add at step 4.
- Try using zucchinis or butternut pumpkin instead of eggplant for this recipe.
Use the left-over water from cooking vegetables to make stock or soup. It's full of vitamins!
Start to LiveLighter today
Become a member for free and receive your personalised meal plan.
|per serving||per 100g|
|Energy||2189 kJ||456 kJ|
|Protein||24.8 g||5.2 g|
|Fat, total||17.3 g||3.6 g|
|— saturated||3.2 g||0.7 g|
|Carbohydrate||57.8 g||12.1 g|
|— sugars||18.7 g||3.9 g|
|Sodium||370 mg||77 mg|
|Fibre||15.6 g||3.3 g|
You might also like
Pantry Pasta 3-2-1
This fast vegie spaghetti is made from pantry staples - perfect for a quick weeknight meal.