Healthy Minestrone Recipe
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tbs no-added-salt tomato paste
- 1 stalk celery, thinly sliced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 potato, diced
- 1/2 zucchini, diced
- 2 x 400 g cans no-added-salt diced tomatoes
- 2 cups salt-reduced chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 x 400 g can no-added-salt red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup risoni (rice-shaped pasta)
- 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 6 tbs chunky basil pesto dip, to serve, optional
- 6 slices wholemeal or multigrain bread, to serve
Place a large pot on a medium heat, heat oil and cook the onions for 3-5 minutes, until soft.
Add garlic and tomato paste and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.
Turn up to a high heat and add celery, carrots, potato and zucchini and cook for another 2 minutes, stirring.
Add tomatoes, stock, 2 cups water and kidney beans and bring to the boil.
Simmer with the lid on for 20 minutes
Add risoni and stir well. Cook with the lid off for 8 minutes. If using a different pasta shape, cook for 1-2 minutes less than suggested cook time as they keep cooking in the hot soup.
Turn off the heat, stir in the parmesan, then the frozen peas.
Serve with a tablespoon of basil pesto dip and a slice of grainy bread if desired.
- Use vegies you have on hand! Beans, spinach, sweet potato, kale and broccoli are all great options.
- Try swapping the 1 cup risoni for ½ cup pearl barley. Add the pearl barley with the tomatoes and stock in step 4. You’ll need to add at least an extra cup of water or stock (or enjoy a much thicker soup!).
- To make this dish gluten-free use gluten-free pasta.
- To make this dish vegan and dairy-free leave out the Parmesan cheese (or use a little nutritional yeast in its place).
If preparing in advance (or to freeze), leave out the pasta. Then add the pasta when reheating. This way you don't get soggy pasta and very thick soup.
Chilli, lemon and herbs add flavour - great alternatives to butter and salt!
Start to LiveLighter today
Become a member for free and receive your personalised meal plan.
|per serving||per 100g|
|Energy||1889 kJ||325 kJ|
|451 Cal||78 Cal|
|Protein||19.1 g||3.3 g|
|Fat, total||14.2 g||2.4 g|
|— saturated||3.2 g||0.5 g|
|Carbohydrate||53.7 g||9.2 g|
|— sugars||13.2 g||2.3 g|
|Sodium||918 mg||158 mg|
|Fibre||13.3 g||2.3 g|
You might also like
Sweet Potato Gnocchi with Roasted Tomato Cream
This tasty sweet potato gnocchi is a favourite in the LiveLighter team.
Roasted capsicum gnocchi
So simple and so delicious! Baking the gnocchi makes them delightfully crisp on the outside and the sauce comes together in the same tray. Genius!