Carrot and parsnip muffins
- olive or canola oil spray
- 1 cup wholemeal self-raising flour
- 3/4 cup white self-raising flour
- 1/4 tsp paprika or curry powder
- 1 large carrot, peeled and grated
- 1 parsnip, peeled and grated
- 2 tbs Parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 tbs parsley or basil, chopped
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- Preheat oven to 190 °C. Lightly spray muffin trays with oil.
- Sift flours into a large bowl, returning husks to the bowl.
- Add paprika and fold in carrot, parsnip, cheese and herbs.
- In a separate bowl mix eggs, oil and milk.
- Pour into the dry ingredients. Lightly combine but do not over-mix.
- Spoon into a greased 12-muffin tray and bake for 25 minutes or until golden brown and firm to touch.
- Cool on a wire rack.
These muffins freeze well and can be defrosted and microwaved to serve warm.
Recipe from Healthy Food Fast © State of Western Australia, 2012. Reproduced with permission.
Serving Suggestion: Serve with low-fat cheese such as cottage cheese, quark or labneh.
|per serve||per 100g|
|Energy||562 kJ||883 kJ|
|Protein||4.7 g||7.4 g|
|Fat, total||5.2 g||8.2 g|
|— saturated||1.3 g||2 g|
|Carbohydrate||16 g||25.1 g|
|— sugars||1.9 g||2.9 g|
|Sodium||175.5 mg||275.8 mg|
|Fibre||2.2 g||3.4 g|